Step Two

pg_b_3Step Two

Applying for a Provisional Driving Licence

You cannot learn to drive without a valid provisional driving licence; neither can you apply for your theory test or practical driving tests.

You can apply for your provisional licence from the age of 15 years 9 months which will allow you to drive a moped from the age of 16 provided you have passed your CBT (Compulsory Bike Training), and category B cars and agricultural tractor from the age of 17.

To do this you will need to complete form D1 (available from most Post Offices) and send it to the DVLA, together with original identity documents, passport sized colour photographs, and the appropriate fee (currently £38). It can take up to three weeks to receive your licence from the DVLA, but you can speed this process up by applying through a Post Office with the facility of checking and submitting your application for an additional fee of £5. To find out if there is a Post Office in your area with this facility, call 08457 223344.

If you suffer from certain medical conditions, you are obliged to declare these on your application to the DVLA. If in doubt, consult your doctor or DVLA direct.

Other reasons for contacting the DVLA may include:

Change of name and address
Change in medical condition
If you lose, deface or have your licence stolen
For information about endorsements, disqualification, and convictions

DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD
Customer Enquires – 0870 240 0009

What does a provisional driving licence allow you to drive?

A valid provisional UK driving licence allows you to:

Drive a motor car (category B) whilst under supervision and displaying the correct L Plates. The supervising driver must be at least 21 years old and have held a current full driving licence for three years. If the supervising driver does not conform to these conditions, then both the supervising driver and the learner driver can be subject to a £1,000 fine, a discretionary ban and have their licences endorsed with between 3-6 penalty points.

Drive an agricultural tractor at the age of 16 years only to and from a tractor driving test. At the age of 17 years, if the tractor has two seats then a qualified driver must accompany you or if the tractor has one seat then you can drive unsupervised. In both cases L plates must be displayed. Click here for details of the Tractor Driving Test.

Drive a moped at 16 years of age providing that you have completed successfully the CBT, click here for details of the Compulsory Bike Training.

There are two other categories covering Lawn mowers and invalid carriages. Anyone who requires information on these categories is advised to contact the DVLA.

If you change your name and address you are required legally to inform the DVLA. Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £1,000. However, if the change occurs within three weeks of your test date, we recommend that you do not change your licence until you apply for your full licence.

If you lose, deface or have your licence stolen providing the details on your licence remain the same, you can apply for a duplicate licence by telephoning the DVLA using a credit or debit card to pay the fee (currently £19)

You cannot take either test if you are unable to produce your licence for examination.

The New Drivers Act 1995, click here to find out how this applies to provisional licence holders, and for an overview of pre and post test endorsements.

A quick thank you to Simply Removals.